Montgomery County Memorial Hospital, a modern health care facility staffed by more than 50 active and consulting physicians, moved to its present location at 2301 Eastern Ave. in 1989. The new hospital reflects the progressive attitude of the people of Southwest Iowa who contributed more than $860,000 to the building fund drive.
The hospital's origin dates back to 1920 when Dr. B.F. Gillmor opened the Red Oak Hospital at the corner of Fourth and Washington. At that time, the 15-bed hospital was used primarily for cataract surgery.
The city of Red Oak accepted bequests of $40,000 from Thomas D. and Ina C. Murphy. The Murphy Memorial Hospital Trust then purchased Dr. Gillmor's building.
A new 26-bed hospital was built on Highland Ave. with an addition in 1951. The long-term care unit Highland Acres was constructed in 1961. In 1978, Montgomery County voters approved the transfer of Murphy Memorial Hospital to county ownership in a special election. The facility then became known as Montgomery County Memorial Hospital.
The opening of the new hospital in 1989 marked the fulfillment of many years spent in long-term planning for superior health care facilities in the Montgomery County area.
The physicians center opened. This addition provided space for the physicians practicing in Red Oak Physicians Clinic and Red Oak Internal Medicine and also space for the general surgeon. Having the physicians located on the hospital campus made access to health care services easier for patients.
A new outpatient clinic addition opened. The new addition puts all outpatient clinics in one convenient location, making access easier for patients. The addition also provides space for a new, expanded Emergency Department.
Back to top »