Montgomery County Memorial Hospital's History
Montgomery County Memorial Hospital + Clinics (MCMH + Clinics) has been serving families 24/7 since 1907. Our rich history in the community has moved and expanded from the original location on 4th Street and Washington Street to our current 170,000 square foot medical campus located in beautiful Red Oak, Iowa and satellite clinics in Malvern and Villisca, Iowa.
Healthcare in Montgomery County 1907-2023
Enjoy a snapshot of what healthcare has looked like in Montgomery County over the last 116 years!
The first hospital in Red Oak was established in 1907 by four physicians, Drs. Gillmor, Lawrence, Seabloom, and Reiley, in a building located at 4th Street and Washington Street.
The hospital's origin dates back to 1920 when Dr. B.F. Gillmor opened the Red Oak Hospital at the corner of Fourth and Washington. At that time, the 15-bed hospital was used primarily for cataract surgery.
The City of Red Oak accepted bequests of $40,000 from Thomas D. and Ina C. Murphy. The Murphy Memorial Hospital Trust then purchased Dr. Gillmor's building.
A new 26-bed hospital was built on Highland Ave. with an addition in 1951. The long-term care unit Highland Acres was constructed in 1961. In 1978, Montgomery County voters approved the transfer of Murphy Memorial Hospital to county ownership in a special election. The facility then became known as Montgomery County Memorial Hospital.
The Section 1 wing was built in 1951, adding another 18 beds with the help of a generous gift from Oscar and Margaret Shepard.
Highland Acres, a long-term care unit, was added in 1961. This section of the building was later adapted to hospital use when additional space was needed.
37 acres of land North of Highway 34 and Eastern Avenue were purchased for a future hospital site.
The opening of the new hospital in 1989 marked the fulfillment of many years spent in long-term planning for superior health care facilities in the Montgomery County area.
The physician’s center opened. This addition provided space for the physicians practicing in Red Oak Physicians Clinic and Red Oak Internal Medicine and also space for the general surgeon. Having the physicians located on the hospital campus made access to health care services easier for patients.
A renovation of 10,000 square feet in the hospital lower level was completed to create a conference center as well as space for the education, home health, and support departments.
A new entrance was created that included an expanded canopy and gift shop at the hospital main entrance. This project was funded by hospital capital funds and a three-year commitment of donations by the MCMH Auxiliary and MCMH Foundation.
The hospital’s clinical pharmacy was expanded. A new outpatient clinic was constructed. This new addition put all outpatient clinics in one convenient location, improving access for patients. This new addition also provided for an expanded emergency department and administration department, and the remodeling of laboratory, imaging, medical records, surgery and rehabilitation services.
A renovation was completed in the Advanced Care Unit and the employee fitness center was expanded. A chapel was added near the clinic lobby.
MCMH acquired 12.5 acres of land adjoining the west property line for future expansion.
Expanded clinics were opened in both Villisca, IA and Malvern, IA.
MCMH + Clinics Board of Trustees and Administrative team began putting together a Master Plan for necessary renovations to expand the Outpatient Clinic, Inpatient services unit, surgery department and adding an in-house MRI machine.