MCMH + Clinics Lactation Services
August 23, 2023
Breastfeeding is a natural and healthy way to feed your baby, but it can also be challenging and stressful at times. That is why we at MCMH + Clinics offer lactation services to support you and your baby throughout your breastfeeding journey.
Our lactation services are provided by certified lactation consultants (CLCs) who have completed specialized training and certification through the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice (ALPP). Our CLCs can work with you before or after your baby is born, either by phone or in person, to answer your questions and address your concerns about breastfeeding.
Some of the common issues that our CLCs can help you with are:
- How to get a good latch and position your baby for optimal feeding
- How to manage sore nipples, engorgement, mastitis and other breastfeeding problems
- How to increase or decrease your milk supply as needed
- How to use a breast pump and store breast milk safely
- How to introduce solid foods and wean your baby when you are ready
- How to balance breastfeeding with work, school or other commitments
Our lactation services are not only beneficial for you, but also for your baby. Breastfeeding has numerous advantages for both of you, such as:
- Breast milk contains all the nutrients your baby needs for the first six months of life, and it changes to meet their changing needs as they grow
- Breast milk contains antibodies that protect your baby from infections, allergies and chronic diseases
- Breastfeeding promotes bonding between you and your baby, and it helps your uterus contract and heal after delivery
- Breastfeeding lowers your risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure
- Our lactation services are available to all our patients, regardless of whether you are a first-time parent or an experienced one. We respect your personal choice and goals regarding breastfeeding, and we are here to support you in any way we can.
To learn more about our lactation services or to schedule an appointment with one of our CLCs, please call us at (712) 623-7179 or visit our website mcmh.org/clinics-services/womens-health-clinic/lactation-services. We look forward to helping you and your baby have a successful and enjoyable breastfeeding experience.